"This classic dish is the tastiest way to get everyone to the dinner table on time. But be warned, youll need plenty of napkins" - Matt Preston (see notes for Low FODMAP diet tips)
The ingredient of Satay chicken skewers
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 130g (1/2 cup) crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime rind, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon MasterFoodsu00ae Turmeric Ground
- 80ml (1/3 cup) coconut cream
- 500g chicken thighs, cut into 3cm pieces
- Steamed rice, to serve (optional)
- Lime wedges, to serve (optional)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
The instruction how to make Satay chicken skewers
- For the cucumber, stir the vinegar and sugar together in a bowl until sugar has dissolved. Stir in the cucumber and salt. Set aside, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until lightly pickled. Drain and place cucumber and coriander in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook the coriander seeds in a frying pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic and toasted. Transfer to a mortar and pound with a pestle until crushed.
- For the sauce, process the peanut butter, sugar, soy sauce, lime rind and juice, fish sauce, chilli, garlic, oil, 1 tsp of the crushed coriander and half the turmeric in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan. Cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until warmed. Stir in coconut cream.
- Preheat a barbecue flat plate on medium. Combine the remaining turmeric and coriander in a bowl. Add the chicken. Toss to coat. Thread about 3 chicken pieces each onto 12 presoaked bamboo skewers.
- Barbecue the skewers for 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Serve with sauce, cucumber, rice and lime, if using.
Nutritions of Satay chicken skewerscalories: 552.568 calories
calories: 31.3 grams fat
calories: 10.5 grams saturated fat
calories: 22.5 grams carbohydrates
calories: 14.1 grams sugar
calories: 46.6 grams protein
calories: 111 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1182 milligrams sodium