Inspired by the simplicity of Bangkok’s street-side kitchens, Marion dishes up a flavour-packed Thai noodle soup.
The ingredient of Thai pork ball noodle soup
- 1 bunch coriander, roots washed
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 500g pork ribs, cut into individual ribs
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fish sauce, plus extra, to serve
- 200g dried rice stick noodles
- 350g minced pork
- 60ml (1/4 cup) white vinegar
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup packed Thai basil leaves
- Dried chilli flakes, to serve
- White sugar, to serve
The instruction how to make Thai pork ball noodle soup
- To make coriander paste, pick the coriander leaves and reserve. Cut roots with 4cm stems attached and, using a mortar and pestle, pound with garlic and peppercorns to a rough paste.
- To make soup, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add half the coriander paste and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add ribs and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add 1.5L water and fish sauce, and bring to the boil. Skim scum from the top of the stock with a ladle. Reduce heat to lowu2013medium and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming scum from stock. Strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan and discard pork ribs.
- Meanwhile, place noodles in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 10 minutes or until softened. Drain and refresh under cold water, then divide among bowls.
- To make pork balls, using your hands, combine mince, 1 teaspoon salt and remaining coriander paste. Roll tablespoons of mixture into 16 balls.
- Return soup to the boil. Gently add pork balls to soup, then reduce the heat to lowu2013medium and simmer for 8 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar and chopped red chilli in a small bowl.
- Ladle soup and pork balls over noodles and top with bean sprouts, basil and reserved coriander. Serve with chilli vinegar mixture, chilli flakes, sugar and extra fish sauce.
Nutritions of Thai pork ball noodle soupcalories: