This apple, raspberry and almond shortbread pie is what sweet dreams are made of.
The ingredient of Apple, raspberry and almond shortbread pie
- 4 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 250g jar raspberry conserve
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1 1/2 cups whipped cream, to serve
- 200g butter, chilled, chopped
- 2 1/3 cups Lighthouse Biscuit, Pastry and Cake Plain Flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon iced water
The instruction how to make Apple, raspberry and almond shortbread pie
- Cut apple into 2cm pieces. Place apple, 1 1/2 cups raspberries and conserve in a medium saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean. Add seeds and pod to apple mixture. Place saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until apple is just tender. Remove from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer apple and any large pieces of raspberry to a bowl. Remove and discard vanilla pod. Return pan to heat. Boil for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture reduces slightly and thickens. Strain mixture into a heatproof bowl. Set aside the apple mixture and the raspberry sauce to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Almond Shortbread Pastry: Process butter, flour, almond meal and sugar in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add egg yolk and iced water. Process until dough just comes together. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 18.5cm round (base) pie dish.
- Roll out 2/3 of the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Line base and side of prepared pan with pastry. Trim edge. Cover remaining pastry in plastic wrap. Return to fridge. Line pastry in pan with baking paper. Fill with baking weights or uncooked rice. Blind-bake for 10 minutes. Remove weights or rice and baking paper. Bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Fill pastry case with apple mixture. Top with remaining frozen raspberries and drizzle with 1/4 cup raspberry sauce. Brush edge of pie with a little egg. Roll out remaining pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Cut into 1.5cm-wide strips. Arrange strips over top of pie to form a criss-cross pattern, pressing edges to secure. Brush with egg. Sprinkle with flaked almonds. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden. Stand for 10 minutes. Swirl remaining raspberry sauce through whipped cream. Serve pie warm with raspberry cream.
Nutritions of Apple, raspberry and almond shortbread piecalories: 889.08 calories
calories: 42.6 grams fat
calories: 25.7 grams saturated fat
calories: 105 grams carbohydrates
calories: 10.2 grams protein
calories: 128 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 227 milligrams sodium