The ingredient of Vegetarian spring rolls
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms (Chinese mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 green shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 75g (1 1/2 cups) finely shredded Chinese cabbage
- 65g (1 cup) bean sprouts, ends trimmed
- 1 225g can bamboo shoots, drained, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 16 square 21cm spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- 500ml (2 cups) peanut oil
- Chilli sauce, to serve
- Extra soy sauce, to serve
The instruction how to make Vegetarian spring rolls
- Place the mushrooms in a small heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain and chop finely.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the green shallots, garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the cabbage, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, carrot and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are just soft. Add the soy sauce and sugar, and stir to combine. Taste and season with pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Separate the spring roll wrappers, arrange them in a pile again and cover with a clean, damp tea towel to prevent them drying out. Place 1 wrapper on a clean work surface. Place 1/4 cup of vegetable mixture on one corner of wrapper and fold over corner to cover filling. Brush opposite corner with a little whisked egg white. Fold in the sides, roll up to secure filling and press corner to seal. Transfer to a plate and cover with a clean, damp tea towel. Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers, vegetables and egg white.
- Heat peanut oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. (To test if oil is hot enough to cook the rolls, drop a cube of bread into the oil. When the bread becomes golden in 15 seconds, the oil is ready.)
- Place 4 spring rolls in the hot oil and cook, using tongs to turn often, for 1-2 minutes or until light golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel and repeat with remaining spring rolls. Serve immediately with chilli sauce and extra soy sauce.
Nutritions of Vegetarian spring rollscalories: