“This humble banana cake reminds me of my mum and my 1950s childhood. The war-era recipe is like no other and the cake has a delicious nutty caramel topping, which makes it really special.” – Ann Leray, SA
The ingredient of Banana cake with a nutty crumble topping
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 140g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon MasterFoodsu00ae Mixed Spice
- 250g (12/3 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 50g (1/3 cup) self-raising flour
- 70g (1/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp MasterFoodsu00ae Cinnamon Ground
- 100g cold butter, finely chopped
- 50g pecans, finely chopped
The instruction how to make Banana cake with a nutty crumble topping
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C/160u00b0C fan forced. Grease the base and sides of a 20cm square cake pan with oil then line base and sides with baking paper.
- Use electric beaters to beat the butter and caster sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs until combined. Beat in the banana and mixed spice until well combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the flour then the milk until combined. Spoon cake mixture into prepared pan.
- To make the topping, combine the flours, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Use fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the pecans. Evenly sprinkle crumble mixture over cake mixture. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of cake comes out clean. Set aside in the pan to cool completely.
Nutritions of Banana cake with a nutty crumble toppingcalories: