"S￼witching up some of the ingredients for French toast can make it a healthier ￼breakfast choice you can enjoy more often." - Louise Keats
The ingredient of Better-for-you French toast
- 150ml milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 100g (about 1 medium) banana, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices seedy wholegrain bread
- 2 tablespoons raw buckwheat
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 130g (1/2 cup) Greek-style yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
- 125g fresh raspberries
- Seeds of 1/2 pomegranate
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Maca powder, to dust (optional)
The instruction how to make Better-for-you French toast
- Blend the milk, banana, eggs and cinnamon for 20-30 seconds or until smooth. Transfer to a large dish. Place the bread slices in the milk mixture, pressing down on them so they absorb as much of the mixture as possible. Set aside for 10 minutes to soak.
- Meanwhile, place buckwheat in a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Melt half the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook 4 soaked bread slices for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil and bread.
- Divide the French toast among serving plates. Top with the yoghurt, raspberries and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with the maple syrup and sprinkle with the buckwheat. Dust with maca powder, if using.
Nutritions of Better-for-you French toastcalories: 1003.083 calories
calories: 58 grams fat
calories: 34 grams saturated fat
calories: 91 grams carbohydrates
calories: 31 grams protein