"Bread and butter pudding is one of my favourite winter desserts. My version has a rich, gooey custard laden with sherry-soaked fruit that bursts in your mouth as you eat" Colin Fassnidge
The ingredient of Colins bread & butter pudding with raisins
- 150g raisins
- 250ml (1 cup) Pedro Ximenez sherry
- 150g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra to grease
- 16 slices day-old sourdough bread
- 600ml double cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 8 egg yolks
- 430g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- Ice-cream, to serve
The instruction how to make Colins bread & butter pudding with raisins
- Place the raisins and sherry in a glass or ceramic bowl. Set aside for 8 hours or overnight to soak. Drain, reserving the sherry liquid.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with the butter. Set aside.
- Place the cream, vanilla seeds and bean into a saucepan. Heat over high heat until mixture just comes to the boil.
- Use electric beaters to whisk egg yolks and 1 1u20442 cups of sugar in a heatproof bowl until pale and creamy. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture until well combined (donu2019t rush or the egg may curdle). Whisk in half the reserved sherry. Set aside to cool slightly. Strain the custard through a sieve into a large jug.
- Place 4-5 slices of bread in the base of prepared dish to completely cover. Sprinkle with a handful of the raisins. Top with the remaining bread, arranging in overlapping layers. Pour over three quarters of the custard. Sprinkle with remaining raisins. Gently press the bread slices down to submerge. Pour over remaining custard. Set aside for 25 minutes to soak. Cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil. Bake for a further 20 minutes or until the custard is just set. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 150C/130C fan forced. Grease a 3L (12-cup) ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place water and remaining sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until golden caramel. Working quickly, pour over prepared tray. Set aside to cool completely. Break into small pieces and place in a small food processor. Process until finely crushed.
- Sprinkle caramel over top of pudding. Use a blowtorch to caramelise. Serve with ice-cream and drizzle with the remaining sherry if desired.
Nutritions of Colins bread & butter pudding with raisinscalories: 1084.821 calories
calories: 63 grams fat
calories: 39 grams saturated fat
calories: 120 grams carbohydrates
calories: 14 grams protein