Smoking the chicken over tea leaves infuses the meat with flavour and locks in the moisture.
The ingredient of Tea-smoked chicken with avocado, iceberg and ginger
- 2 tablespoons Sichuan pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 2 tablespoons flaked sea salt
- 6 chicken breasts, skin on
- 40g Lapsang Souchong tea leaves
- 2 tablespoons white rice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted, ground
- 60ml (1/4 cup) tamari
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice (sushi) vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 red birdseye chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- Pinch of finely chopped garlic
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled, finely shredded
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 200g cooked green beans
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup Thai basil leaves
The instruction how to make Tea-smoked chicken with avocado, iceberg and ginger
- Stir spices and salt in a small frying pan over low heat until fragrant. Cool, then grind to a powder with a pestle and mortar. Scatter over chicken, then steam over a saucepan of simmering water for 15 minutes or until almost cooked.
- Line a wok with a doubled piece of foil, place tea, rice and brown sugar in base and cover with a small wire rack. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to smoke. Place chicken on rack, cover wok and smoke chicken for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Whisk sesame seeds, tamari, caster sugar, vinegar, oil, chilli and garlic in a bowl.
- For salad, toss all ingredients with dressing in a bowl, divide among plates and top with thinly sliced chicken. Serve.
Nutritions of Tea-smoked chicken with avocado, iceberg and gingercalories: 509.548 calories
calories: 26 grams fat
calories: 6 grams saturated fat
calories: 15 grams carbohydrates
calories: 10 grams sugar
calories: 49 grams protein
calories: 120 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 3856.73 milligrams sodium