Try out a new family favourite with this hearty beef casserole and thyme dumpling dish.
The ingredient of Beef casserole with thyme dumplings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 800g beef oyster blade steak, cut into 4cm chunks
- 4 brown onion shallots, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, thickly sliced
- 2 swedes, peeled, chopped
- 100g small cup mushrooms
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon gravy powder
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) beef stock
- Steamed broccolini, to serve
- Thyme sprigs, extra, to serve
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 100g butter, grated
- 100ml milk
The instruction how to make Beef casserole with thyme dumplings
- Preheat oven to 180C. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef, in 2 batches, and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the brown onion shallot, garlic, carrot, swede, mushroom, thyme and bay leaves to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 mins. Add wine and cook for 2 mins or until reduced slightly. Add tomato paste and gravy powder and stir to combine. Add stock and 1 cup (250ml) water and bring to a simmer. Return beef to the pan. Cover and bake for 1 hour 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until beef is just tender.
- To make the thyme dumplings, combine flour, thyme leaves and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Add butter and using clean fingers, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Gradually add milk and stir until a dough forms. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions and roll each into a ball. Top beef mixture with the dumplings. Bake, uncovered, for a further 20 mins or until dumplings are light golden. Divide the beef and dumplings among serving plates and serve with steamed broccolini and thyme sprigs.
Nutritions of Beef casserole with thyme dumplingscalories: