This hearty slow-cooked beef casserole is topped with bacony bread dumplings and makes the ultimate winter comfort dish.
The ingredient of Beef casserole with bacon and leek dumplings recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.8kg beef gravy or chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 carrots, peeled, halved, thickly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 1/2 leek, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons white spelt flour
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel beef style liquid stock
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 middle bacon rashers, rind removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 leek, trimmed, halved, thinly sliced
- 175g brussels sprouts, quartered
- 235g (1 1/2 cups) white spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 100g butter, chilled, coarsely grated
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
The instruction how to make Beef casserole with bacon and leek dumplings recipe
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan forced. Heat 1 tbs of oil in a medium flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook the beef, in batches, for 5 minutes or until browned. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Cook onion, carrot, celery, leek, garlic, thyme and bay leaves, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add flour, stirring, for 1 minute or until coated. Add wine. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Return beef to dish. Stir in stock, tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Season. Cover. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Discard thyme and bay leaves.
- To make dumplings, increase oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Heat 1 tbs oil in frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon and leek, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Set aside in a bowl. Heat remaining oil. Cook sprouts, stirring, for 6 minutes or until golden.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in thyme. Season with pepper. Rub butter into flour mixture until resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 tbs bacon mixture. Stir remaining into flour mixture until just combined. Add milk. Use a flat-bladed knife to stir until just comes together. Roll heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture into 12 balls. Arrange in dish with sprouts. Top with reserved bacon mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Season.
Nutritions of Beef casserole with bacon and leek dumplings recipecalories: 906.288 calories
calories: 47.5 grams fat
calories: 18.5 grams saturated fat
calories: 34.5 grams carbohydrates
calories: 69.5 grams protein