Fluffy polenta dumplings help temper the heat from the spicy chilli beef underneath.
The ingredient of Chilli beef with polenta dumplings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.2kg gravy beef or chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Mexican chilli powder
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Massel beef stock
- 2 x 400g cans red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup polenta
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 20g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup milk
The instruction how to make Chilli beef with polenta dumplings
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C/160u00b0C fan-forced. Heat half the oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the beef, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer beef to a 6cm-deep, 3.8 litre-capacity baking dish.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until onion has softened. Add garlic, coriander, oregano and Mexican chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in tomato and stock. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Carefully pour mixture over beef in dish. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, make Polenta dumplings: Place flour, polenta, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add cheese. Stir to combine. Make a well. Add milk. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until just combined and the mixture forms a sticky dough (make sure you donu2019t over-mix).
- Remove beef mixture from oven. Stir in the beans. Dollop level tablespoons of the polenta mixture over chilli (about 15). Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through and beef is tender. Serve.
Nutritions of Chilli beef with polenta dumplingscalories: 426.376 calories
calories: 12.7 grams fat
calories: 5 grams saturated fat
calories: 34.1 grams carbohydrates
calories: 40.1 grams protein
calories: 89 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 725 milligrams sodium