For a hearty winter meal, try this rich lamb casserole topped with yoghurt and dill dumplings.
The ingredient of Lamb casserole with yoghurt and dill dumplings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1.2kg boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 500ml (2 cups) passata
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 3 fresh bay leaves or dried bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 340g (2 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 260g (1 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
The instruction how to make Lamb casserole with yoghurt and dill dumplings
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Heat 1 tbs oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over high heat. Cook lamb, in batches, turning, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining 1 tbs oil in dish over low heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 8 minutes or until soft. Add wine. Increase heat to medium-high. Simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced. Return lamb to dish. Add passata, stock, bay leaves and cinnamon. Season. Bring to the boil. Cover with a round of baking paper, then foil. Bake for 1 hour, until the meat is almost tender. Remove the paper and foil. Cook for a further 45 minutes, until the lamb is tender.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Make a well in centre. Add yoghurt and oil. Stir to make a firm dough. Divide in half. Roll out 1 portion on a lightly floured surface to a 17 x 23cm rectangle. Spray with oil. Sprinkle over half the combined shallot and dill. Roll to enclose. Slice into 6 pieces. Repeat with remaining dough, oil spray, shallot and dill.
- Arrange scrolls on top of lamb. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until scrolls are golden.
Nutritions of Lamb casserole with yoghurt and dill dumplingscalories: 1041.323 calories
calories: 47 grams fat
calories: 16 grams saturated fat
calories: 79 grams carbohydrates
calories: 59 grams protein