An ideal homemade gift, this chutney is delicious served with glazed ham at Christmas and enjoyed with roast meats and cheeses throughout the year.
The ingredient of Cherry and fennel chutney
- 600g fresh cherries, pitted, halved
- 1 large fennel, end trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried mint (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
The instruction how to make Cherry and fennel chutney
- Place the cherry, sliced fennel, onion, sugar, vinegar, fennel seeds, allspice, chilli, mint, if using, salt and cardamom in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 mins or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 50 mins or until vegetables soften and liquid reduces by half.
- Meanwhile, to sterilise two 500ml preserving jars, place jars and lids in a deep saucepan and cover with cold water. Place over medium heat and bring to the boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Boil gently for 10 mins. Use tongs to carefully remove sterilised jars and lids. Spoon the chutney evenly among two sterilised jars. Seal, then turn upside down for 2 mins. Turn upright and set aside to cool completely.
Nutritions of Cherry and fennel chutneycalories: 14.34 calories
calories: 3 grams carbohydrates
calories: 3 grams sugar
calories: 0.2 grams protein
calories: 37 milligrams sodium