The ingredient of Tempura with ginger sauce
- 1 medium (about 100g) carrot, peeled
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 24 medium green prawns, peeled with tails left intact, deveined
- 1 small (about 80g) white onion, thinly sliced crossways
- 16 large fresh basil leaves, washed, dried
- Pinch of salt
- 330ml (1 1/3 cups) iced water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 200g (11/3 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 80ml (1/3 cup) rice wine vinegar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) soy sauce
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
The instruction how to make Tempura with ginger sauce
- Preheat oven to 120u00b0C. Line a baking tray with paper towel. Use a vegetable peeler to slice carrot lengthways into long, thin ribbons. Set aside.
- To make the ginger sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the vinegar, soy sauce and water, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until reduced slightly. Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, add enough oil to a large heavy-based saucepan or wok to reach halfway up the side of the pan. Heat to 190u00b0C over high heat (when oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 10 seconds).
- To make the batter, whisk together water, egg yolks and vinegar in a large bowl. Add the flour and bicarbonate of soda and briefly whisk until just combined but still lumpy (do not overmix).
- Holding prawns by tails, dip 12 prawns, 1 at a time, into the batter to evenly coat. Deep-fry for 2 minutes or until prawns change colour, curl and turn golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to prepared tray and place in preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining prawns, reheating and topping up oil between batches if necessary. Dip carrot in batter to evenly coat. Deep-fry for 2 minutes or until golden. Transfer to tray with prawns and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat in 2 more batches with onion and basil leaves. Season tempura with salt.
- Arrange the tempura on serving platters and serve with the ginger sauce.
Nutritions of Tempura with ginger saucecalories: