Use this basic tempura batter to coat all your favourite fish, seafood and vegetables.
The ingredient of Mixed tempura
- 12 green king prawns, peeled, tails intact, deveined
- 2 small baby eggplants, trimmed, thinly sliced lengthways
- 12 stringless green beans
- 1/2 small sweet potato, peeled, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Kikkoman Soy sauce, to serve
- Sashimi, to serve
- Sushi Dipping Sauce, to serve
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups chilled water (see note)
- 2 cups plain flour
The instruction how to make Mixed tempura
- Preheat oven to 160u00b0C. Place prawns, eggplant, beans and sweet potato on a flat tray lined with paper towel. Pat with more paper towel to remove excess moisture. Place plain flour in a shallow bowl.
- Half-fill a deep-fryer or wok with oil. Heat until hot. Place a wire rack over a baking tray lined with paper towel.
- Make tempura batter Meanwhile, combine 1 egg yolk and 1 cup chilled water in a bowl. Stir with chopsticks or flat-bladed knife. Add 1 cup flour and stir lightly with chopsticks. Do not beat or over-mix (flour should still be lumpy).
- Dip prawns and eggplant lightly in plain flour. Dip in tempura batter to coat. Gently ease 5 to 6 pieces at a time into hot oil. Cook, turning occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove to wire rack. Make second batch of tempura batter using remaining ingredients. Repeat step 4 using tempura, beans and sweet potato.
- Arrange prawns and vegetables on serving plates. Serve with dark soy dipping sauce.
Nutritions of Mixed tempuracalories: