Fresh pickled ginger makes a versatile condiment and the ultimate sashimi partner.
The ingredient of Japanese pickled ginger
- 125g fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 60ml (1/4 cup) rice wine vinegar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
The instruction how to make Japanese pickled ginger
- Use a vegetable peeler or mandolin to slice the ginger into thin strips. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Stir until well combined. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the salt to extract excess liquid. Use your hands to squeeze any excess liquid from the ginger. Transfer the ginger to a sterilised jar.
- Stir the rice wine vinegar, water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Pour the vinegar mixture over ginger. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Seal and place in the fridge for 24 hours to develop the flavours.
Nutritions of Japanese pickled gingercalories: 15.535 calories
calories: 3.5 grams carbohydrates