Chirashi means "to scatter" so chirashi-zushi is the sushi ingredients scattered in a large bowl. It is perfect for serving large crowds.
The ingredient of Salmon chirashi-zushi
- 3 cups sushi rice
- 90ml rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1/2 large carrot, finely chopped
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, stalks discarded
- 25g kanpyo (dried gourd shavings), rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 140g whole peeled bamboo shoot, cut into 1cm pieces
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bonito dashi (stock) powder
- 1 tablespoon mirin (rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 400g sashimi-grade salmon, cut into 4mm-thick slices
- 60g snow peas, blanched, trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 50g salmon roe (optional), to serve
The instruction how to make Salmon chirashi-zushi
- Rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Cook in a rice cooker with 3 1/2 cups water. Combine vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Transfer hot rice to a large bowl. Sprinkle with vinegar mixture, while mixing rice quickly with a spatula. Using a stiff piece of paper, fan rice while stirring to cool it (this will give it a shine).
- Meanwhile: place carrot, 1/2 cup water and a pinch of sugar and salt in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Drain, then set aside to cool.
- Place shiitake in a bowl and pour over 2 cups lukewarm water. Stand for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and finely chop, reserving soaking liquid.
- Place kanpyo in a sieve and rinse under cold running water. Rub 1 teaspoon salt into kanpyo and rinse again. Cook in a large saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain, then finely chop.
- Place reserved shiitake liquid, shiitakes, remaining sugar, soy sauce, kanpyo and bamboo in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until water has almost evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- Combine eggs, dashi and mirin in a bowl. Heat oil in a 20cm non-stick frying pan over low heat. Working in batches, pour in 1/4 cup egg mixture to make a thin omelette. Cook for 1 minute each side or until just set but not browned. Remove from pan and cut into thin strips.
- Fold carrot and shiitake mixture into rice. Using slightly moistened hands, mould heaped tablespoons of rice mixture into 2.5 x 5cm rectangles, about 2.5cm high. Top with a slice of salmon, snow peas, omelette strips and salmon roe, if using. Serve.
Nutritions of Salmon chirashi-zushicalories: